Tis the season for soup and curry! Why not have the best of both worlds with a curry soup? Of course this is not my first time showcasing curry on the blog nor is it my first soup so if you’re interested check out:
Add what ya got Thai Curry Soup
Vegan Slow Cooker Tikka Masala
On to my newest obsession curried cabbage soup!
half a head of cabbage chopped*
1 cup of chopped carrots
3 medium potatoes cubed
1 small serrano pepper, seeds removed, minced- Jalapeño works (Or 1-2 tsp red pepper flakes)
1 Tbsp ginger, minced ( Or ginger powder)
1 can of white beans, rinsed and drained. Chickpeas or navy beans are great!
2-3 cloves garlic, minced (Or 1 tbsp garlic powder)
1/4 cup diced onions (Or 1 tbsp onion powder)
1 tablespoon coconut oil
3 Cups veggie broth
1 tablespoon soy sauce (adjust with the saltiness of your broth)
1 tablespoon curry powder
*Don’t let your other half of cabbage go to waste! Chop and freeze. Cabbage keeps so well in the freezer and still has a crunch once defrosted. For other suggestions on how to save money in the kitchen, check out these Top Tips.
This makes about 5-6 servings, so perfect for meal prep.
1. Pre-heat a large pot over medium heat. Add coconut oil and onion. Sauté for 2-3 minutes. Continuously stir until onion is golden.
2. Add garlic, ginger, and serrano pepper and sauté for another 2-3 minutes. Then add carrots, potatoes and cabbage. Cook for 1-2 minutes stirring occasionally.
3. Add curry powder and soy sauce and continue to stir until veggies start to release more water about 5 minutes.
4. Add in veggie broth. Bring to a boil, add beans and stir. Cover and turn down to a simmer. Let simmer for 10-15 until potatoes and carrots are tender but not too soft.
5. Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more soy sauce for salt and/or depth of flavor or more curry powder.
Let me know what you think and if you give this recipe a try!
This recipe is featured on Buzzfeed’s Tasty!