This African inspired baked jollof rice is so easy! You’ll have a warm hearty meal within an hour without standing over the stove.
I’ve really been enjoying the curry flavors this fall and winter. The warming spices carry so much flavor and are perfect for cooler days. Check out my slow cooker tikka masala and my one pot thai curry for more ideas!
½ diced yellow onion
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 cup frozen peas*
1 cup frozen corn*
1 carrot chopped*
1 can chickpeas rinsed and drained
2 tablespoons curry powder
1 tablespoon of garlic powder
1-1.5 teaspoons of cayenne pepper ( adjust to your spice level!)
2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons of paprika
6 cups boiling vegetable broth
3 cups of rice
Salt and Pepper to taste, it’ll depend on how salty your vegetable broth is.
This makes several servings about 8-10 servings as a side and at least six for a main. Perfect for a crowd, which I think jollof rice should always be shared. You can definitely half the recipe (keeping the whole can of chickpeas is fine).
*You can also sub the vegetables for 2 cups of a frozen veggie mix.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add all of the ingredients (except the vegetable broth and tomato paste ) into a large baking dish. Mix well until spices and rice are well incorporated.
- Add tomato paste to boiling vegetable broth and mix well. Add to baking dish and mix again.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed about 45-50 minutes.
- Serve warm as a side or as a main!
Let me know what you think and if you give it a try!