My mom use to make us turkey cheeseburger mac all the time as kids. It was definitely one of my favorites. It is one of those comfort foods that makes you smile just thinking about it. I’m so happy to share my vegan version of it with y’all.placeholder://
I’m also extremely obsessed with this cheese sauce. It’s so good and is perfect for stand alone Mac and cheese!
I hope you love it as much as I do!
Mac and Cheese
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons paprika
4 tablespoons coconut oil or vegan butter
3/4 cup nondairy milk
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1.5 cups nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
2 teaspoons tomato paste
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 lb macaroni noodles
2 cups mashed sweet potatoes (can sub butternut squash)
1 cup dried TVP
2 cups of vegetable broth ( I used 2 cups water and 2 teaspoons Better Than Bullion Paste)
2 teaspoons oil
Makes about 5 servings.
1. In a large sauce pan cook your macaroni noodles according to package directions. Rinse, drain and set aside.
2. In that same pot bring the vegetable broth and 2 teaspoons of oil to a boil. Once boiling add in the TVP and stir. Turn the heat off and cover. Let sit while you make the cheese sauce.
3. In a small bowl mix 1/4 cup of nondairy milk and the cornstarch until no lumps remain.
4. In a small sauce pan over medium heat melt the coconut oil. Whisk in the remainder of the nondairy milk, the nutritional yeast, mustard, onion and garlic powder, paprika, tomato paste and apple cider vinegar. Once combined add in the cornstarch milk mixture and stir until thick. Then remove the sauce pan from the heat.
5. Into a blender, add the sauce and the sweet potato. Be careful, blending warm ingredients! Blend until smooth. Add more nutritional yeast as well as salt and pepper to taste.
6. Place your large sauce pan with the TVP back onto the stove at low heat. Add in the cooked pasta and the cheese sauce. Mix together well until everything is thoroughly coated.
7. Serve warm with extra nutritional yeast or red pepper flakes.
Let me know what you think and if you give this recipe a try!