This super simple one-pot recipe is just as satisfying as a large slice of lasagna but not nearly as expensive. It also helps use broken pieces of lasagna noodles or mostly empty boxes of pasta. Perfect for a pantry clean out!
I became vegan for a couple of different reasons, one because it feels good. I feel like I am functioning optimally and looking my best. Two because it is one of the most sustainable decisions you can make. I want to be more sustainable. I make little changes here and there to reduce, reuse, recycle and refuse. I’ve signed up for email only receipts, use reusable grocery bags, recycle as much as possible and use every thing. I’m talking using a paintbrush to get the last bit of lip balm. That’s part of the reason why I like this recipe. I never knew what to do with the bits of broken lasagna noodles (or even bits and pieces of different shaped noodles!) and this is a perfect way to use everything!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
1 cup dry Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP)
5 cups vegetable broth (or more depending on how soupy you want it)
1 32 oz can of Tomato Sauce
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning (or a bit of basil, oregano and rosemary)
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 cup frozen spinach
2 cups broken pieces of uncooked lasagna noodles or mismatched bits of pasta
1 tablespoon light oil (olive or vegetable)
Salt and pepper to taste
Nutritional Yeast for serving
- Add TVP to a medium bowl with equal parts vegetable broth or water. Let sit 10 minutes.
- In a large pot, preheat to medium high heat. Add oil.
- Add in re-hydrated TVP, garlic powder, onion powder and Italian seasoning.
- Stir to incorporate sauté for a minute or two.
- Add can of tomato sauce and stir until it warms through and begins to bubble.
- Pour in vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Add in broken lasagna noodles and/or mismatched bits of pasta.
- Boil until pasta is tender. Add in spinach. Salt and pepper to taste
- Serve with a sprinkle (or a lot) of nutritional yeast.
Let me know what you think and if you try this recipe out!