This super simple, delicious and filling vegan overnight oats recipe will have you excited to start your day. I am normally a savory breakfast person. Usually nothing sounds better to me than a breakfast burrito. But every once in a while I crave sweet breakfast recipes. As a person who meal preps everything I needed something that also fit my active on the go lifestyle.
In comes the idea for Sweet Potato Souffle Overnight Oats. My mom always always makes Sweet Potato Souffle for holidays and family gatherings. It is basically mashed sweet potatoes, butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and a crunchy topping made from corn flakes and pecans. When I went vegan, my mom easily made this vegan for our family events.
This recipe is honestly so good and kept me full all morning.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 5
Total time: 30 minutes
1 large sweet potato
1/3 cup almond butter (I used homemade!)
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon vegan butter or coconut oil
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 teaspoons chia seeds
2.5 cups oats of choice (I used quick)
5 cups of plant based milk or water
3/4 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup corn flakes
1/2 cup maple syrup
This recipe makes 5 days worth of overnight oats.
1. Peel, dice and steam your sweet potato until tender about 15 minutes. You can also roast the potato and scoop out the insides.
2. Mash sweet potato with vegan butter or coconut oil, brown sugar, salt, vanilla and cinnamon. Set aside.
3. Prepare your containers (5 mason jars or Tupperware). Add 1/2 cup of oats to each one.
4. On top of the oats add 1/3 cup of the mashed sweet potato mixture. Add chia seeds and a tablespoon of almond butter.
5. Add 1 cup plant milk or water to each. Refrigerate overnight.
6. For the topping, mix together the corn flakes, chopped pecans and maple syrup. It is okay to break up the cereal a bit. Add this to a parchment lined baking sheet and bake at 350 for about 10 minutes. Once you start to smell it toasting you can remove it.
7. Keep the topping separate until you are ready to eat. Serve hot or cold. Top with as much topping as you’d like!
I hope you enjoy it! Let me know if you try it out and what you think of the recipe!