This hearty soup is so creamy and warming it makes you feel so good! It is ever so slightly sweet but has a great depth of flavor. The gnocchi adds great texture and helps to keep you full. Don’t be intimidated by gnocchi! It is super easy to make and is totally worth it for the perfect little dumplings in your soup.
I love soup especially when it is cold outside. This was exactly what I needed on a cold and rainy winter day. To be honest this recipe came out of using whatever I had on hand. I had two left over medium white sweet potatoes, some carrots and some leftover frozen mashed potatoes that I needed to use. But it turned out so great I just had to share.
Cook time: 1 hour-1.5 hours
This makes about 5-6 servings
2 medium sweet potatoes ( I used white sweet potatoes but orange works well too)
1 medium carrot
1.5 cups mashed potatoes (2-3 medium potatoes, peeled boiled and mashed)
1.5 cups flour and extra for dusting
6 cups vegetable broth
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
2 cups spinach or baby kale or 1 cup frozen
1 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 can white beans (kidney or cannellini) rinsed and drained
Optional: Sunflower seeds or hemp seeds for topping
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Clean and pierce the carrot and sweet potatoes. Place on a lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 40 minutes until caramelized and soft.
- While your veggies are baking, peel, boil and mash your white potatoes. Let cool.
- Mix 1.5 cups mashed potatoes with equal amounts of flour. Kneed for 1 minute over a lightly floured surface. Dough should still be slightly sticky, avoid over kneading!
- Divide dough in to several even pieces. Take one piece at a time roll out into a long rope/snake and cut into even 1/2’’ pieces. (Optional: Roll 1/2’’ pieces of dough across a fork)
- Bring a large pot to a boil. Add a large pinch of salt. Add gnocchi in small batches and stir so that they don’t stick. Boil until the gnocchi float and then for continue to boil for one additional minute. Drain and set aside.
- Once your carrot and sweet potatoes are done. Let them cool to the touch and then peel.
- Add the carrot, sweet potato, white beans and vegetable broth to a large pot (Use the one from the gnocchi so you don’t have to wash it :P) Cover and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Let simmer for 10 minutes. Turn to down low. Using an immersion blender (or carefully with a regular blender) blend the soup until it is smooth and creamy.
- Add the gnocchi and the spinach. Add the nutritional yeast and seasonings. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve warm, and top with additional red pepper flakes and sunflower seeds!
Let me know what you think and if you try this recipe out!
One thought on “Creamy Vegan Gnocchi Soup”