These cupcakes are perfectly sweet and have an amazing cinnamon sugar flavor. They are an amazing replica of the Mexican street food. Try this recipe out for an awesome summertime treat!
I made these delicious little cupcakes for a Cinco de Mayo celebration and they were a huge hit! I will definitely be making them all summer long.
Prep Time 10 Minutes
Bake time 18-20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
- 1.5 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cups brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2.5 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 – 4 tablespoons non-dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a cupcake pan with 12 liners.
2. In a large bowl combine all the dry ingredients. Whisk together until well combined.
3. In a medium bowl combine the wet ingredients. Mix well. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Using a spatula mix everything together until just combined. No need to worry about lumps so don’t over mix!
4. Divide batter evenly between the liners. Bake for 18-20 minutes until the center cupcakes are golden and a toothpick comes out clean. Refrigerate cupcakes until completely cool. Make sure they are cool before removing from the pans!
5. While cooling make the frosting! Combine the powdered sugar, vegan butter, vegetable shortening and vanilla extract using a stand or hand mixer. Add in non-dairy milk one tablespoon at a time until you achieve the desired consistency.
6. In a small bowl mix together sugar and cinnamon.
7. Once the cupcakes are cool, frost, and sprinkle the cinnamon sugar on the cupcakes.
Keep cake refrigerated as the buttercream frosting will melt otherwise!
Let me know what you think and if you give this recipe a try!
This recipe is featured on Buzzfeed’s Tasty!