This idea came from the extremely popular High Protein Baked Oatmeal Cups that you guys have loved! The best part of them is that they are customizable and are perfect for meal prep. Well I am a lover of savory breakfasts. After making my Vegan Breakfast Bowl, I knew I needed to meal prep some savory breakfasts! Most oat recipes that you find are sweet but savory oats are actually really delicious! Don’t knock it til you try it!
This recipe still remains insanely easy and I’m sure you have most of the ingredients in your kitchen.
I hope this recipe inspires you to get creative and a bit savory with your breakfast!
This makes about 15 oatmeal cups and I pack about 3 per day for meal prep.
1 can pureed or mashed beans (I’ve used pinto, black and kidney) . Mash with a fork or puree in a blender you may need to add a few tablespoons of water to blend)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 chia or flax egg (see below)
3.5 cups old fashioned oats
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
2 cups vegetable broth (or water)
2 teaspoon onion powder
2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup sunflower or hemp seeds
1/3 cup frozen corn, defrosted
1/3 cup frozen peas, defrosted
2 tablespoons vegan friendly bacon bits (Like McCormick Bac’n Pieces), optional
Pepper to taste
1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Make your chia or flax egg. Mix 1 tbsp of chia seeds or ground flax with 2.5 tbsp of water. Let sit.
3. Combine all of your dry ingredients into a large bowl. This includes the oats, nutritional yeast spices, salt, seeds and baking powder. Mix well.
4. Add in the bean puree, chia or flax egg. Mix together making sure the egg substitute and beans are thoroughly incorporated.
5. Add in the vegetable broth slowly while mixing. Once all of the broth is added stir to make sure everything is well combined. This is where you can add the veggies. Let the batter sit for 5 minutes.
6. Scoop mixture into nonstick cupcake/muffin tins. I add about 1/3 cup of the batter to each.
7. Bake for 20 minutes then remove from the oven. Let cool for 10-15 then remove from pan.
Enjoy right away or meal prep for the week! I pack 3 for breakfast everyday.
Let me know what you think and if you give this recipe a try!