There is nothing like crispy tofu. When it is perfectly crispy on the outside and still soft on the inside it is the perfect base for things like orange or sesame tofu, great to eat on its own like popcorn chicken or to top something like a Thai curry. This recipe is super fool proof and comes out the exact same every time.
Tofu may be hard to work with especially if you are new to cooking with it. But this recipe helps to keep it simple! I prefer to work with frozen tofu. I buy regular blocks of tofu, drain the packages and store them in freezer bags. I feel as though the texture is so much better, it has less water and can hold more flavor or sauce than tofu that has not been frozen and defrosted. But I’ve done this recipe both ways and it all comes out amazingly crispy and delicious. This is another great use for silicone mats.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
1 block of extra firm tofu (drained and/or frozen and defrosted)
Any spices to taste
Salt and pepper to taste
Cooking spray (optional, helps add color)
Sauce of your choice optional)
1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Cube your block of tofu to the desired size. Season with desired seasonings to taste.
3. Place tofu on silicone baking sheets or parchment paper evenly spaced out. Spray with a bit of oil to add color and crisp them up a little more.
4. Bake for 30 minutes flipping halfway.
5. If you’d like, with about 5 minutes remaining, coat the tofu in a sauce of your choosing and bake for the remaining 5-8 minutes.
Let me know what you think and if you try this recipe out!
2 thoughts on “Quick Oven-Fried Tofu”