I did not grow up eating tomatoes because I disliked them. That might be an understatement. I really hated tomatoes. When my mom fixed spaghetti when we were kids I avoided the sauce at all costs and took my spaghetti noodles with oil and garlic instead (yum).
I have been trying to expand my food horizons. It wasn’t until recently that I discovered the beauty of bolonese sauce. I fill my sauce with all of my favorite vegetables and it is so enjoyable.
In my mind I feel that bolognese is a wonderfully customizable sauce where you can add whatever veggies you like. For me I used carrots, kale, turnips, celery, mushrooms and TVP.
What is TVP you ask? TVP or Textured vegetable protein is dehydrated and defatted soy. You can purchase it in all different shapes and sizes. Mine happens to be in a crumble. All you do is add equal parts TVP to water (or veggie broth) and it plumps right up and is ready to go. It has the look and texture of ground meat but obviously vegan. I normally purchase mine in bulk from Amazon. Prep your TVP in veggie broth while you prepare everything else.
I rough chopped a couple of carrots, half a turnip, a cup of mushrooms and a heaping handful of kale and threw it into my food processor to turn it into a mince. You can definitely do this by hand but if you have a food processor it’s easier. While you do this prepare a box of spaghetti according to package directions.
I then preheated a pot with a couple tablespoons of oil. Once the oil is warm toss in and sauté your veggies. While sautéing add garlic powder, onion powder and Italian seasoning. Add in your softened TVP and cook everything until vegetables are tender. Add in a large can of tomato sauce, some wine and simmer for about 30 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve over pasta.
This is a great recipe for a large group of people or a good way to get your vegetables in while eating a bowl of pasta.
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 Minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
1 29 oz can of tomato sauce
3 medium carrots
1.5 cups chopped mushrooms
1/2 of a turnip
2 ribs of celery
3 cups of kale
1 cup of dried TVP
1.5 cups of vegetable broth
1 tbs Garlic powder
1tbs onion powder
2 Tbs Italian seasoning
3 tbs of oil (vegetable, olive or coconut work well)
1/2 cup dry red wine (kinda optional, I’ve done without)
1 box of spaghetti or pasta of your choice.
1. Pour your TVP into a bowl cover with 1 -1.5 cups of vegetable broth.
2. Rough chop your vegetables, use a food processor to mince. (Or chop into small uniform pieces by hand)
3. Warm your oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add your minced vegetables and sauté until tender. Add garlic, onion and Italian seasoning.
4. Add the TVP and cook for 5 more minutes stirring occasionally.
5. Add in the tomato sauce and wine if you’re using. Stir and simmer on low for about 30 minutes.
6. Use this time to boil your pasta according to package directions. Don’t forget to salt your water! Drain, rinse and set aside.
7. Once your Bolognese is finished serve warm over pasta.
**Try throwing everything (minus the pasta) into a crock pot and cooking on high for 4 hours
Please let me know if you try this recipe out and what you think!